Ten - they did a wonderful job with Operation Overboard - it is well worth taking a good look at it to see if it might be a good "fit" for your ministry -
1. Depend on God – Genesis 6:9-13, 22-7:17; 8:1, 13-9:17 – Noah depends on God
2. Dare to Care – 2 Kings 5 – A servant girl dares to care
3. Claim Jesus – Matthew 3L1-17; Mark 1:1-11; Luke 3:1-22 – John proclaims Jesus
4. Choose to Follow – Luke 5:1-11; John 21:4-24 – the disciples choose to follow Jesus
5. Change the World – Acts 27 – Paul delivers Good News
Setting – God’s underwater universe
Message – Kids will plunge into Bible stories of people with deep faith and learn to trust a God whose love is bigger than the sea! Kids will be challenged to discover what it means to have a “deep faith”
Focus – Evangelism, Application and Bible Content
- Operation Overboard has strong Bible content with a focus on application
- The director’s book is pretty complete and provides most of the information you need to plan and present your VBS
- I especially love the Exploration Station – excellent science projects and Cokesbury does a tremendous job connecting what kids see/do with God’s Word with their “Faith Connection”!
- Excellent information to help churches involve children with special needs
- I love the reproducible take home papers with questions for families to think through together!
- I found the options for crafts to be creative, varied, affordable and fun – options for crafts you can buy as kits and crafts you make from items you collect!
Would like to see –
- More enthusiasm in the open/closing – object lessons, science projects, stunts – something to capture the kid’s attention and get them thinking! I’d add some of the science projects from the Exploration Station which I didn’t use in the station to the close.
- Daily “live – it” activities to help kids take what they learned out of the church and live it in their everyday lives, every day. They do talk with kids about the point and ask them what they can do to live it – especially during “Reflection Time” – which I like, but I’d like to see a more intentional focus on helping children choose specific things to go do and then provide time for them to share the following day what they did
- Children engaged in the teaching of the Bible lesson, involve the kids in the dramas, have them participate in the lesson – not just sit and watch a drama or listen to the teacher
- Activities to involve the children in serving their communities
- More boys singing on the cd/dvd – if we want to engage boys in singing and praising through song, we need to show them boys on the dvd/cd.
Cokesbury says, “Theme clearly connects to the Bible, engaging activities which appeal to boys and girls of all ages and easy, fun decorating options, Operation Overboard is the perfect choice for your VBS. The curriculum introduces children to a deeper relationship with God through Jesus Christ, inspires students and leaders – to bring the Word of God alive to all who experience it, includes Bible stories which give a sequential view of the Bible and provides faith connections for all participants!.” If you are looking for a VBS with a strong evangelistic focus and a theme which is thoroughly woven through each part of the day, take a good look at Operation Overboard!