Dreaming of More for the Next Generation: Lifetime Faith Ignited by Family Ministry
Author - Michelle Anthony
Publisher - David C. Cook
Favorite Features -
- focuses on the "how-to's" for developing, as Freddy Cardoza said, "A 'church-equipped', but 'parent-powered' family ministry designed to nurture authentic faith!"
- takes an honest look at how we tend to rely on our "bag of tricks" when it comes to children's and family ministry and challenges us to lay down those old, comfortable "wineskins" and watch as God's Spirit shows us how the new "wineskins" take shape!
- challenges us to not be fooled by "faith's counterfeit" where we are fooled by what things look like - good behavior vs real faith
- each chapter ends with a "Ministry Assessment" where we are invited to "Reflect", "Respond" and "Dream"
- I appreciated the chapter on "Awakening the Parent's as Primary" and the challenge to not allow the church to take the role of primary teacher of children away from the parents. As Michelle said, "We provided take-home papers after a child's time in Sunday school. While nothing is inherently wrong with a follow-up resource, I began to see this sent the wrong message to my parents. Without saying it directly, I was communicating we would be the primary teachers of God's Word and they would support us by reinforcing the message at home. I became passionate about inverting the process. We would create a pre-teach resource where parents would be the first ones to read the upcoming week's Bible passage to their children and interact with them on it." Wow! If we all did this in our ministries, just imagine the change in focus and direction this could take our children's/family ministries!
- Love the focus on "forming faith" in children and the challenge to us to allow God to speak to children and to help them learn how to "listen" to God!
- Solidly challenges us to help children and families learn to "flex" their "faith muscles" and how they will grow when they use these "faith muscles"
- I'm so happy to see an emphasis on both faith and action with the challenge to help our children and families put what they hear from God's Word into action! I LOVE the "Hear it and Do it weekends" Michelle talks about in Chapter Six!
- I LOVE Chapter Eight with the focus on "Worship as Response" and the ideas on ways to help children/families worship beyond Sunday! I especially LOVE the ideas for ways families can have "Worship Response in the Home"!
This book is filled with solid information which will challenge and encourage you to take an honest look at how you approach children's/family ministry and how you can "Dream of More for the Next Generation", too!
I'm delighted to announce, not only did Cook send me one book to review, but they are making another available for me to give away! If you have "liked" About the Children's Department" using the "tab" in the "find us on facebook" box, ON THE BLOG, then you are entered in the drawing which will be on June 1st! If you have not "liked" this blog yet, please take a moment to do so and you will be entered in the drawing! If you would like an additional entry, please "share" this post with the people you know! (If you "share" please comment on About the Children's Department's Facebook page so I am able to give you an additional entry!) Thank you for reading About the Children's Department and for sharing it with the people you know!