Regardless of who you will vote for, it is important for us to follow what God's word says about showing respect for and praying for our government. And, we need to help the children understand what God's Word says as well. Consider the following . . .
Children need to know they can have an impact on our government by praying and regardless of what happens, who is elected, they need to be subject, show respect and focus on what they can do to be ready for every good work.
- Romans 13:1 ESV Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.
- 1 Peter 2:13-17 ESV Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people. Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.
- Titus 3:1 ESV Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work
- 1 Timothy 2:1-3 ESV First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior,
- Colossians 4:6 ESV Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.
As the days pass and we approach the election, be ready to encourage children to trust God and to make the choice to use words which are "seasoned with salt".